My brief bio...

I used to co-write a blog, "East and West Running" at www.eastandwestrunning.blogspot.com...click on the various links to see some of the early entries from 2010 to 2012 when I first learned how to run and then first learned how to ride a bike as I was based in Canada and my co-blogger was based in Malaysia.

I fell off the blogging wagon since somewhere around 2014 or 2015, but I'm getting back on so that I can track my #fitoverforty journey back into fitness...

Saturday, December 26, 2015

Race Report: Garfield Fun Run KL!

The view as we drive
to the start line!
Joy here...After "going rogue" on my training and claiming that I wasn't going to do any races for a while and just take it easy with my training, I suddenly found myself at the start line of a 5km running race under a blue sky and hot afternoon sun.

Now let's back up a bit.  I've been in Kuala Lumpur for two weeks, and during that time, I've not been able to run or train or do anything more active than lift my beer to my lips. It's been the holiday season, with much work to do and people to see and fun to have and life to live.  And, well, for the past two weeks, I've been doing that.

But then my former trainers and friends from Bodytech here in Malaysia told me that they had signed up for a "fun run" and I should join and run with them.

I figured I had nothing to lose, so I got to the start line at 4 o'clock on Boxing Day under a blazing hot sun and +35C temperatures.  We were all sweating as we posed for pictures with Garfield, as this was a branded "Garfield Run," complete with mascots and everything!

Odie and Garfield show up to cheer us on!
We trundled over to the start line, smelly bodies, jostling, shouting, and cheering all around us, and we waited for the countdown.

As soon as we were off, I left my friends behind and started weaving and wending my way through the thousands of yellow-clad Garfield runners until I got a bit of space and could run at my own speed.  To be clear, that speed was pretty darn slow.  I think I reached the first km mark after 7 minutes...not much faster than walking!

But then, despite the heat and despite my time off, I was feeling just fine.  I didn't have any weird aches and pains, and I felt like I could just take it easy and have a comfortable run.

Me and my friends at the start line!
Granted, it was hotter and hillier than I was used to; granted it was one day after Christmas celebrations (complete with wine); granted I'm out of shape after "going rogue," etc. etc. but given all those caveats, I felt fine.

I trundled through the second and third kilometre, but then the hot sun of the afternoon was unrelenting and the road was going upwards, and I felt myself walking.  I gave myself about 60 sec. of walking, and then up I started again feeling like I might actually finish the race in under 30 minutes, which I really didn't think I could do.

So I trundled along, feeling good, and then I turned a corner and the finish line was mere metres away.  I ran my little heart out for those last 300m or so, knowing that I could have run a lot faster had I known I was so close to the end.

All the keen runners in their Garfield tops!
I finished in 27:43, just slightly slower than my last fun run that I ran just over 24 hours after returning to Canada from Malaysia one October.
See ya later #GarfieldRunKL; I might be back
next year!

I waited under the shade of a palm tree as I awaited my friends at the finish line, and then amidst high fives and cold drinks we meandered back to the car, feeling satisfied and proud of ourselves for getting out there and running this fun and well organized #GarfieldRunKL!

So all in all, the lesson that I've learned is that in saying I'd "go rogue" and not race has proven the opposite.  Just when I said I wouldn't sign up for any more races, I found myself in the midst of a race.

And you know what?  I wouldn't have it any other way.

Life is more interesting when it unfolds in a way that isn't planned!

So as 2015 comes to its close, I think I'm going to do my best to remember that life lesson and not plan things but just roll with life as it comes, mascots and all!

Over and out,
Joy

Race Stats:
Ran for a total of 5km in 27:43min for a pace of 5:33min/km.


No comments:

Post a Comment