My brief bio...

I used to co-write a blog, "East and West Running" at www.eastandwestrunning.blogspot.com...click on the various links to see some of the early entries from 2010 to 2012 when I first learned how to run and then first learned how to ride a bike as I was based in Canada and my co-blogger was based in Malaysia.

I fell off the blogging wagon since somewhere around 2014 or 2015, but I'm getting back on so that I can track my #fitoverforty journey back into fitness...

Monday, October 20, 2014

Race Report: 5km Blackburn Hamlet Running Race

Joy here...At the end of August I discovered that I had given myself a wee bit of a stress fracture in my left foot.  Now a stress fracture is a teeny tiny little fracture that in and of itself is no big deal, unless you keep running on it, turning it into a serious fracture and major injury.

My stress fracture was in my baby toe - small metatarsal
of my left foot.
I was lucky to have caught mine early enough (well, actually, it was my coach who wrote: "Stop running!!!!!").  Because of catching it early, I was able to prevent it from worsening and take a brief 4 weeks off running, before trying to get back into the swing of things.

Of course, after taking the time off, it also meant that my motivation suffered (is suffering, continues to suffer...).  And the month of September had me hopping between Winnipeg and Ottawa and Toronto nearly every three days or so.  And on the back of that crazy month, we then got on a plane to head to Kuala Lumpur for a mere 6 days, and are now getting ready to hop on yet another plane for London for another 6 days.

Participants milling about the start/finish.
But since life doesn't just sit still and we can't always sit back and wait for some magic, perfect moment to train or race or run or be fit or, well, do anything, then we better just get on with it.

And in the spirit of just getting on with it, less than 2 days after returning to Ottawa from our whirlwind trip to Kuala Lumpur, I headed out on a cold October morning to participate in a local 5km run to raise funds for cancer research.

I haven't been able to train consistently, and I didn't run at all while we were just away, I figured that I might as well just get out there and run and have fun.

I mean, I can easily run 5kms these days, so it's not a matter of distance or endurance.  My issue would be making sure that I didn't get out there and get caught up in the race atmosphere and decide to run to hard or too fast and end up injuring myself.

Hamming it up for the camera!
So I charged up my trusty Garmin, headed out to the start line, warmed up under a clear blue sky in +4C temperatures with a brutal wind, and got ready to go.

We all gathered around for a photo and some speeches at the start, giving the race a real community feel, and then after the countdown, we were off.

I ran slowly and comfortably, following a few people ahead of me showing me the race route; otherwise I would have had no idea where I was going or what I was doing.

I made sure to keep my pacing in check, not going faster than around 5:40min/km for the first 2.5kms and then letting myself speed up at the 4km mark, but making sure that I still kept well within my limits.

The Joy of prizes!
And before you know it...the start/finish line appeared before me, and I ran right through it, only to learn as I was patted on the back by the organizers waiting there, that I was the 2nd placed female and 5th placed runner.  There were even prizes for me!

So I stretched and stuck around to gather my gift certificates and accolades, and then drove myself home with a sense of accomplishment.

I'm pretty happy that I just got on with it, and I intend to just keep on getting on with it no matter what my crazy schedule throws my way!

Over and out,
Joy

Race Stats:
Ran for a total of 5kms in 27:20mins with an average pace of 5:28min/km.

No comments:

Post a Comment