My brief bio...

I used to co-write a blog, "East and West Running" at www.eastandwestrunning.blogspot.com...click on the various links to see some of the early entries from 2010 to 2012 when I first learned how to run and then first learned how to ride a bike as I was based in Canada and my co-blogger was based in Malaysia.

I fell off the blogging wagon since somewhere around 2014 or 2015, but I'm getting back on so that I can track my #fitoverforty journey back into fitness...

Sunday, January 27, 2013

Surprise Week Off...

Joy here...So on Monday morning I got up bright and early (I think the alarm on my phone was buzzing at 4:30am), and after a shower and a coffee (or maybe it was coffee-shower-more coffee), I hailed a cab and was off to Winnipeg for meetings.

Now I've complained before about the difficulties of keeping up a workout regimen when travelling, and so I won't reiterate the same things I've said before (like it's hard to find the time, food, energy, ability, and did I mention time? to get workouts in).  Instead, I'll just mention that I was there for meetings for the new Canadian Museum for Human Rights being built there and scheduled to open in 2014.  And while I didn't get to work out my body, my brain and aesthetic sensibilities did get a rather rigorous flogging...meetings, meetings, and more meetings about a truly one-of-a-kind building and human rights concept:

Photo courtesy of the Winnipeg Sun
But then as I was just about to board my plane to return home, telling myself "it's okay, you've only missed 3 workouts, you'll make those up," the plane was overbooked, and I didn't make it home until the next day, and with less than 20 hours before I was to board yet another plane, I didn't get a workout in that day either.

And before you know it, I was seated on yet another plane, headed away to spend the weekend with my friend and her two toddler sons, my other (pregnant!!) friend visiting from the US, and my sister and little nephew.  So while I may have spent my fair share of the weekend chasing after kids and playing with cars, I don't think any of that counts as a workout.

However, I had booked an early flight out on Sunday morning, telling myself "no worries, you'll squeeze in a workout on Sunday and get your week back on track."  But thanks to Air Canada and its sub par service (that I think I've mentioned before), the plane I was on was damaged somehow and so we all had to get off the plane and sit around the airport for another 5 hours until we could be boarded on a bigger one.  So much for my working out plans!

But instead of beating myself up and whinging on my blog about my surprise week off...I'm just going to treat it like I would a surprise party:  I'll smile as wide as I can, enjoy it while it lasts, and deal with the aftermath in due course.

Over and out,
Joy


No comments:

Post a Comment