My brief bio...

I used to co-write a blog, "East and West Running" at www.eastandwestrunning.blogspot.com...click on the various links to see some of the early entries from 2010 to 2012 when I first learned how to run and then first learned how to ride a bike as I was based in Canada and my co-blogger was based in Malaysia.

I fell off the blogging wagon since somewhere around 2014 or 2015, but I'm getting back on so that I can track my #fitoverforty journey back into fitness...

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Running in the 'Peg...

Joy here...It's the start of a new week (the last in October, the first in November), and I can look back on last week and feel like I'm back on a program.  Here's what I wrote in one of last week's blog posts:
After running last Friday, doing a trainer session on Saturday, heading out to ride outside on Sundayrunning on Monday, resting on Tuesday, doing an indoor TT on Wednesday, and doing a trainer session on Thursday, I now find myself on Friday morning after a week of getting back into my groove feeling much more energized than I did during all my weeks off the bike when I was sitting on the couch and gaining those extra 5kgs or so around my mid section. 
So with a solid week of working out under my belt, I was feeling good...but...then...I...had...to...go...to...Winnipeg.

If you've come over to this blog from the one I used to co-write with my friend Nomi in Malaysia, you'll know that I've whinged about travelling to Winnipeg (and the havoc it wreaks with my training) before (for example, as early as September 2010 and again in the summer of 2011).  Essentially when I have to head to Winnipeg usually my time is not my own.  I get sucked into someone else's plan--meetings, conferences, family obligations--and it is remarkably hard to find time to both eat well and workout according to my schedule.
Click here to see a site with more on Air Canada's suckery.

Knowing all this, The Man and I got up early for our pre-dawn flight to my home town, and planned to eat on the plane so that we'd be fuelled and ready to run as soon as we landed.

But we were foiled.  Air Canada didn't have any breakfast options for flights shorter than 3 hours (even though ours was over 2 hours), and the one granola bar that they did have as a potential for us, was all out!  F--k you, Air Canada!

So we arrived at the airport hungry.  And realized that there would be no food at my dad's house.  So TGIF at the Winnipeg airport became our breakfast stop.

Me looking like a "condom head" in my running hat as I
stand waiting for the train to pass.
While not the most healthy option of all times, what it meant is that when we got to the house, we were able to drop off our luggage, change into our running gear, and head out the door without any further delays (because delays then turn into workouts cancelled).

Out we ran into the chilly Winnipeg air...hoping to warm up as we ran...and warm up we did.  Winnipeg has a nice running trail that runs down the middle of one of its prettier streets that is lined with mansions fronting the Assiniboine River, and so that is the route we ran, admiring houses along the way, nodding and waving to dog walkers, and feeling slightly self-conscious about how my running hat makes me look like a loser.  But with temperatures 17C in Ottawa and a mere 3C in Winnipeg, I wasn't about to take beauty over comfort.

And afterall, looking like an idiot in a stupid running hat but getting out there and running, is better than not running at all!

Over and out,
Joy

Run stats:
Ran for a total of 55minutes for around 8.5kms.

No comments:

Post a Comment