My brief bio...

I used to co-write a blog, "East and West Running" at www.eastandwestrunning.blogspot.com...click on the various links to see some of the early entries from 2010 to 2012 when I first learned how to run and then first learned how to ride a bike as I was based in Canada and my co-blogger was based in Malaysia.

I fell off the blogging wagon since somewhere around 2014 or 2015, but I'm getting back on so that I can track my #fitoverforty journey back into fitness...

Thursday, May 21, 2015

It's not about weight loss, until it is...

Joy here...One year ago at this time I was the fittest I had ever been.  We were nearing the end of 12 months based in Malaysia, and without winter and Seasonal Affective Disorder, I was able to workout consistently year round.  I felt great physically and mentally (and I say so here).

I didn't look too bad either (here I am spring 2014).
We lived in an apartment with floor to ceiling windows over looking the jungle; we were able to see our friends every week; I had access to an amazing gym and trainer around the corner from where I lived; I had a membership at another posh gym for those times when I needed a swim or a treadmill; I did great bike rides at least once a week; a tropical fruit stand was at the end of our road every day; the grocery store knew me by name and would order anything and everything I might want (including gluten free items); and, well, I was happy.

Fast forward 12 months.

We're now just coming out of what seems like the longest winter I've ever experienced. I've not been consistent with my workouts, and I've drank much more, much more regularly throughout the winter than I should have.  I have no access to a gym or trainer, and am hanging onto my running coach by the skin of my teeth.  I'm sure he thinks I'm a loser, because I miss more workouts than I actually hit.

I've said may times on this blog before that I do sport not about weight loss.  For me, sport is about feeling good, being sharp mentally, and overcoming challenges.  Sport is so much more about the mental side than the physical for me.

Looking a little different now, spring 2015.
Or at least that's always been the case.

Now I find myself, for the first time in my life, thinking about the physical more seriously, and thinking about weight loss.

You see, in the nearly 12 months since we've been back in Canada, I've gained about 12Ibs and lost pretty much all my muscle tone.

It's snuck up on me bit by bit, and as I grapple with trying to be consistent with my workouts, I also find myself having to try and lose weight too.

I truly see why the weight loss industry represents a multi-billion dollar business.  It's hard to lose weight, and you feel like crap about yourself, which makes you a perfect target for savvy marketing.

But I reminded myself that I'm supposed to be focusing on the mental side, not the physical side, right?

So mentally, my challenge right now is to overcome negativity and this hole that I've dug myself into and just move forward.  There's no magic to it, and there's no point in beating myself up over backsliding.

As Ottawa's Race Weekend descends upon us this coming weekend, and I'm going to be running a smooshy and out-of-shape 5kms, I just remind myself that you gotta start somewhere.

Here I am with my Mile2Marathon training crew in Ottawa.
Can you spot me?
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
~ Confucius

Over and out,
Joy


No comments:

Post a Comment